Can You Die From Taking Shrooms?

Psychedelic shrooms are ingested. People take them to experience hallucinations, increase in their mood and perception, periods of euphoria, and alterations in their thinking process. These types of shrooms are often called “magic mushrooms” or simply “shrooms”. They contain the chemical psilocybin which can be a dangerous substance.

It is possible to overdose on shrooms. However, normally a person will not die from ingesting them. If you have a bad trip or overdose on shrooms, it can be an overwhelming and difficult experience. There are many kinds of psilocybin mushrooms. There are actually some types of mushrooms that are poisonous mushrooms, which can be deadly.


Call Chapters Capistrano Today for more Information:


Psychedelic Shrooms Overdose

People can overdose on psychedelic shrooms by taking too many or ingesting an extremely powerful batch of them. An overdose of this nature can be uncomfortable both physically and mentally. Some of the symptoms associated with a shroom overdose include the following: 

  • Irritability
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Anxiety
  • Panic attacks
  • Psychosis
  • Paranoia
  • Agitation
  • Seizures
  • Coma

There is low toxicity in psilocybin mushrooms. This means it is unlikely that someone will die because of a shroom overdose. A few studies have shown that only about .2% of 12,000 users who ingested psilocybin shrooms needed emergency medical treatment. This rate is about 5 times lower than people who needed emergency treatment while using ecstasy, LSD, and cocaine.

A shroom overdose usually lasts about 6 to 8 hours, although some of the effects can stick around for several days. Some people have bad trips when using shrooms. These can cause the person to undergo an unpleasant experience. Possible effects of a bad trip can be frightening and could include the following: 

  • Fear
  • Panic
  • Anxiety
  • Paranoia
  • Hallucinations

First time users are more likely to experience a bad trip. This is especially true if they are already feeling anxious, depressed, or ingest a large amount of shrooms. In addition, disorderly environments or unfamiliar surroundings can also lead to a person engaging in a bad trip. Overall, the effects of psilocybin mushrooms are uncertain. They can be influenced by how the user feels and by the environment in which the person takes them.

It isn’t necessarily a good thing to take shrooms. However, you can decrease the risk of a shroom bad trip or overdose by keeping a few things in mind such as only use them with someone you completely trust, consume them in a place where you feel the most comfortable, and never ingest them if you feel depressed or even upset. In addition, you should not take more shrooms just because you don’t feel effects of them right away. Generally, a common dose of psilocybin is between 1.5 to 2 grams. This is for dry mushrooms. Remember, the experience can be different for everyone and is unpredictable. It truly depends on the person and the environment.

If you have a substance addiction, including a “shroom” addiction, now is a good time to seek help from a luxury drug and alcohol treatment center. The medical staff in these facilities would be happy to speak to you about all your treatment options. Take a minute and reach out today.

Need More Information? Call:


Other Shroom Health Risks

Experts and studies indicate the species of toxic mushrooms outnumber psilocybin mushrooms by 10 to 1. This means that one of the greatest risks of taking shrooms is consuming the wrong species of mushroom. Some poisonous mushrooms can look very similar to psilocybin shrooms. They can have the same hallucinogenic symptoms and effects as well. A few of the symptoms of poisonous mushrooms may vary from species to species, but include the following:

  • Muscle pain and cramping
  • Abdominal pain and cramping
  • Slow breathing
  • Slow heart rate
  • Mucus in lungs
  • Extreme sweating
  • Decrease in blood pressure
  • Kidney failure

Mushrooms which cause symptoms within a 2 hour period are less harmful than those which cause symptoms after 6 hours. Amanita, Cortinarius, and Gyromitra tend to be the most harmful and dangerous species of mushrooms.

Many reports have shown there are mushrooms sold to users, but turn out to be store bought mushrooms laced with other substances such as LSD and PCP. These mushrooms can lead to a person having an overdose or a bad trip experience. However, it is often difficult to determine if a mushroom is laced with other chemicals without doing some further research on the species of mushrooms.

Although uncommon, psilocybin and other hallucinogens have been associated with psychosis. The effects of psychosis is usually a result of a bad trip. Symptoms may include the following: 

  • Paranoia
  • Mood swings
  • Visual changes
  • Muddled thinking

These symptoms may cause discomfort and possibly dangerous health issues. However, if you find your symptoms lasting for long periods of time the best thing to do is seek medical treatment.

Although rare, people who regularly use hallucinogens may encounter symptoms associated with hallucinogen persisting perception disorder. This is a condition which can cause a person to experience sensory disturbances after the effects of a substance has diminished. In these cases, the symptoms a person might experience include the following:

  • Seeing moving objects
  • Escalated colors
  • After images
  • Visual halos around objects

These symptoms can last for days, weeks, months, and even years. However, only about 4% of people using hallucinogens experience them.

Are Shrooms Really Addictive?

No, psychedelic mushrooms are generally not considered to be mentally or physically addictive. However, anyone using hallucinogens, including mushrooms, may find themselves using larger doses to ensure they get the same effects as when they first began using them. This can increase a person’s risk of having a bad trip, experiencing an overdose, or becoming dependent on shrooms. Although, it is not common for a person to have withdrawal symptoms when they stop using mushrooms, they could have a coming down phase. This may include symptoms such as headaches, tiredness, anxiety, and depression.

In general, people don’t die from taking shrooms. However, they can have an overdose or experience a bad trip from using them. If you or a loved one is using mushrooms, it could be the best thing for your body and mind to consider getting medical help and quit taking them. If you would like to live a happier, healthier life, it is best to stay substance free.

Want more information about how Chapters Capistrano can help? Feel free to call 949-276-2886 and one of our addiction specialists will help get the information and help you need.

Are alcohol and drugs ruining your life?

We have taken the necessary precautions to minimize the risk of exposure and transmission of the Coronavirus to those in our treatment programs, allowing them to focus on their recovery.

Find Help Now

Medical disclaimer:

Sunshine Behavioral Health strives to help people who are facing substance use disorder, addiction, mental health disorders, or a combination of these conditions. It does this by providing compassionate care and evidence-based content that addresses health, treatment, and recovery.

Licensed medical professionals review material we publish on our site. The material is not a substitute for qualified medical diagnoses, treatment, or advice. It should not be used to replace the suggestions of your personal physician or other health care professionals.

COVID-19 Questions and Concerns

Do not allow COVID-19 to stop you from seeking the care you need. We are here to answer your questions and alleviate any concerns. Call us today.

Not sure how to Pay for Treatment?

We are always here to help. Contact Us and start your healing today

Look what Chapters Capistrano has to Offer You

View Our Facility

Talk with one of our Treatment Specialists!

We are always here to help. Contact Us and start your healing today

Beat Your Addiction-Have an Intake Expert Reach out to you