Addiction is a growing issue within the United States, and across the country, thousands of advocates are fighting to end this epidemic, especially the numerous drug rehab facilities in San Clemente such as Chapters Capistrano. One particular type of addiction that has risen to popularity over the past few years involves opioids, which are prescription pain medications meant to assist people who are trying to beat addictions to other drugs. According to an article in Huffington Post, advocates are actively searching for the entity responsible for stimulating the opioid abuse problem.
The article explains how the manufactured epidemic of addiction has taken a major toll on the United States’ health systems, which are already in disrepair. A study confirmed that seven in ten opioid overdose treatments were linked to abused prescriptions. This means that Big Pharma may be the culprit as to why the opioid addiction is hitting record highs in the country.
The CDC has reported that certain groups are more vulnerable to opioid addiction, and that people should be aware of the facts surrounding the epidemic. According to reports, there are several groups most susceptible to opioid abuse:
- People who participate in a practice called “doctor shopping.” This entails visiting multiple doctors to get several prescriptions, and then taking them to the local pharmacy. Many smaller pharmacies are unable to immediately detect cases of doctor shopping, so it is easy for instances to slip through the cracks.
- People who take higher doses of opioids.
- Low-income citizens and those who are on Medicaid are often prescribed opioids at twice the rate of standard patients, meaning that they have greater access to higher doses.
- People with mental illnesses and with histories of substance abuse.
Knowing who is susceptible to opioid abuse is only half the battle. It is important to recognize tell-tale signs to identify anybody who has fallen victim to an opioid addiction. The most important things to look out for are:
- Drastic changes in appetite.
- Loss of interest in usual activities.
- Decrease in personal hygiene.
- Extreme fatigue.
- Other major withdrawal symptoms such as muscle cramps, fever, chills, perspiration, irritability, and irregular heartbeat.
Chapters Capistrano is one of the top Orange County alcohol and drug rehab facilities equipped with the right tools and programs to assist people who are overcoming their addictions. The facility features drug and alcohol detox programs, as well as relapse prevention strategies to help its clients. People who are seeking assistance can enjoy our oceanfront location, intensive one-on-one rehabilitation sessions, full confidentiality and privacy, and staff of well-trained and experienced counselors. If you or someone you know has a problem treating an addiction, we encourage you to call us at 949-371-4198.